Thursday, March 24, 2011

Riyah has been under saddle since November. That’s four months. We have made quite a lot of progress. She goes up hills like a powerhouse. It doesn't take much to rev that motor! She goes down hill like water: smooth, quick, and easy, with some rushing! She’s good around other horses, but tends to be anxious and insecure without a buddy. She’s not particularly spooky, in fact, I think she’s rather bold, although when she does get nervous and jittery, she seems to lose the ability to think and process! She can be a real “nervous Nellie” in new places.

When Riyah becomes anxious on the ground she crowds into me. It’s very unnerving to have an 850 pound jittery mare trying to sit in my lap! I don’t like it. She also fidgets and paws and flings her mane when she gets impatient or nervous when tied at the trailer. I am used to relaxed, patient, laid back horses! Riyah’s behavior is totally unlike what I am used to dealing with!

I recognize, of course, that she has a right to be unsure of things. After all, she has spent years in the same pasture with the same horses and the same view of the world. Now suddenly everything has changed; she is being asked to do new things, go to all kinds of places, deal with different situations and, handle difficult questions. Understanding why she acts the way she does is easy, but it doesn’t mean I know how to physically deal with all her emotional needs.

So, I called in the best natural horsemanship trainer I know. Marleen Bradford might be the most underestimated trainer in Utah. I have taken quite a few lessons from her over the years for dressage and jumping, and I trust her understanding of the horse. Any horse. Yesterday she came down to my place to give me some pointers with Riyah.

Nearly two hours of groundwork later, I thought my mind was on systems overload! Riyah probably did, too, but funny enough she was more relaxed and softer than she had been for a long time. Basically what she went through in those two hours was a full body yoga workout on the physical side. The mental gymnastics were even more impressive. I could see the lightbulbs popping on in her head! Every so often she would stop and mentally process things: licking her lips and chewing and blinking.

What we actually did was probably the equivalent of playing Pat Parelli’s Seven Games, and yes, I’ve read his book, but that's nothing like having Marleen demonstrate and coach me thorough the games and seeing the behaviors I deal with.

Riyah is the equivalent of a teenager physically, but she has an immature mind. As prey animals, horses need to feel safe. If I am the center of the herd, she wants to be in the center with me because it’s safer there. Sitting on me would put her in the exact center. Not so safe for me! So basically Marleen worked on my leadership skills. If I am the herd leader, then I will never allow Riyah to invade my space, but she will feel even safer knowing that I am a good leader and I am looking out for her. (This is the same with all horses, obviously.) Limits and boundaries help all of us feel safe.

I need to go lick and chew and blink about these things!

Some of the things I heard yesterday:

A specific request gets a specific response.

Blinking is thinking.

Start with the smallest amount of pressure that will get the job done.

Release asap but not before.

Do not move my feet. She must move hers!

Do not project mental distractions onto her. It will distract her!

Be as I want her to be. In the present. At peace.

My three-fold purpose with Riyah:

1. Develop Obedience

2. Develop work ethic

3. Develop attention span

3 comments:

  1. I love it! And will be excited to read as you go. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, that's code for AGREED, AGREED, AGREED, with what you heard yesterday, they are quick light learners and forget nothing! Easier to train than UNTRAIN yes?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up--great post--more pics please! :)

    ReplyDelete