Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This blog is about my journey with Glory Al-Riyah, a beautiful young Arab mare who was gifted to me in November 2010. She was rescued from a very bad situation almost four years ago and was given time to grow up and regain her weight out in Judy's lovely green pasture. My friend Judy had often given temporary care to horses needing to gain weight or recover from an injury, but Riyah's placement became permanent since her owner had no room for her. For over three years now Riyah has been well taken care of--fed, wormed, hooves trimmed, and teeth floated, but nothing much else. She has never had a job. No one has done anything with her. I think she is far too beautiful and sweet to be left out of life, so when Judy and her owner offered her to me, I decided to take a chance on her.

I had just sold my wonderful endurance mare, Sweet Gypsy Rose, and was in the market for a replacement. I really have no idea if Riyah will make a good endurance horse. She is a very well-bred wonderful moving arab and that's in her favor, I suppose, but she was actually bred for the show ring. Nonetheless, I like her. And I like endurance. Yes, I really like to ride 50 miles in 6-7 hours. I hope Riyah will like it, too. But the journey is in the making of the horse.

I have never worked with or ridden green horses. I didn't feel confident to start this horse from scratch, so Riyah was sent to the trainer in October 2010. I began riding her with the trainer after a couple of weeks. In mid-November, a barn-owl induced arena accident left me bruised, battered, and broken ribbed. I haven't held it against her. Two weeks later, I was back on top and we are still on course.

I brought Riyah home from the trainer's the first week in December. I guess if I was honest, I would say never send a horse to be trained in the fall or early winter. Bringing her home in the middle of Utah's cold and very snowy winter has made it quite difficult to have real riding consistency. I've done as well as I could, and Riyah and I have shared some arena rides, trail rides with friends, and even three solo rides on trail. We also took a road trip to southern Utah to visit Judy and Riyah's former pasture mates (and to get out of the snow and ride in the desert.) She did great on that trip in my opinion, although I heard several humorous comments about the antics of young horses while I was there! (Thanks Judy!)

I invite you to follow me on this journey. Glory of the Wind is what Riyah's name means. I hope this journey leads to the development of a happy, well-adjusted, enthusiastic, and competitive endurance horse. A horse who's glory will be equal to the wind. An equine partner who will love the sport of endurance as I do and who will glory in the adventures we share on this journey. together.

No comments:

Post a Comment