Friday, May 13, 2011

Once again I was having so much fun I forgot to take pictures! Yesterday Sharon picked up Riyah and me, along with Gail and Star, and we headed up the canyon. It was our first ride this spring in our beautiful mountain canyon! We rode up the Pole Canyon dirt road, an easy ride, but it was warm and sunny and spring-like even though there are no leaves on the trees yet. The snow pack on Mt. Nebo is amazing as were the water levels in the creek and reservoir. Lots of water this year!

We did work on "coming and going" type exercises. Sharon rode ahead far enough to get out of sight, while Gail and I stayed behind. The first time we did this Riyah was pretty put out about it. She trotted sideways up the road, tried jigging, and just generally got a little upset. After we rejoined Sharon and let Riyah relax again, she and I trotted off and left the other two horses. She was better at this, although we completely lost the rhythm of the trot since she kept trying to stop and wait for them to catch up! She did go when I asked, though. We did these games several times, and I do think I saw improvement. Who knows how it will be at the ride tomorrow?

Riyah's four booted hooves were great! The rear Easyboot Gloves stayed on just fine, even through the creek crossings and trotting up the gravel road. I think they will be great for the ride. I will boot her up before I go to bed tonight so she will be ready for our early morning drive.

I am packing the truck and trailer this afternoon and trying to have everything ready for the morning. Then I can just load her up and go. The weather is looking good, and so is my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment