Wednesday, May 11, 2011


Riyah's new EasyBoot Gloves are here! I'm happy they arrived before Saturday's ride. (I left the ordering just a tad late, I think! Thanks, EasyCare, for shipping so quickly!)

I trimmed the Comfort Pads to fit in the new size 1's for her fronts. The new style gaiters fit well and shouldn't rub like Keno's old ones have done. His old style gaiters (which EasyCare doesn't even sell anymore) were rubbing the hair on the front of her pasterns, although they have never caused Keno any problem. Then I attached new gaiters to the used size 0.5 boots I plan on using for her rear hooves. I tried putting Power Straps on them, too, but then the boots were too tight to get on her feet, so I took them off again.

I touched up the trim on all four hooves and then booted her up. Riyah has never worn boots on her rear hooves--I've never felt like she needed them. However, Saturday's ride is rocky (like what we ride in around here) and the gravel road sections can be quite hard. I feel like she should be protected when I 'm asking her to go 25 miles! All the boots seemed to fit pretty well so tomorrow we'll go out for a ride and test them. She over-reaches a fair bit, so it will be interesting to see how she goes in all four boots. Will they get in the way and make her stumble? Nothing like last minutes preparations to build confidence! Not. (I should have done this several weeks ago!)

I also spent some time organizing the trailer and tack I will need for the ride. Nothing much that's different from our regular riding stuff. I will fill water bottles, water tank, pack hay, feed, buckets, electrolytes, Gatorade, my food, etc. tomorrow after our ride. Since I'm not camping overnight, it should be fairly simple.

I hope our rainy/windy spell is over! Nasty black thunder clouds were scooting across the sky all afternoon. About eight o'clock tonight they suddenly disappeared and the sun came out. Go figure! The horses certainly knew what to do to fill the time on a rainy day: see photo above!

No comments:

Post a Comment