Friday, June 10, 2011

Dog Valley in Bloom!



I decided to take Riyah out to Dog Valley this morning instead of going up the canyon since I get a cell signal out there (she had not been ridden in two weeks after all!) I am so glad I did! The wet spring payoff is here at last! Indian paintbrush, larkspur, wild flax, daisies, slippery elm, and lots of others whose names I don't know are blooming everywhere. It is really quite amazing to see the desert so colorful. I know it won't last, but I plan to enjoy it while it's there.

Riyah was quite energetic after hanging out at home while I was gone, and she was definitely looking for something to spook at. Luckily she didn't find much! I would really have to say she behaved herself very well even though she was pretty high-headed. We rode eight miles through some rocky/hard, dry trails, trotting and walking for one and a half hours. Her trot was very animated and bouncy. We spent some time working on transitions, halts, and leg yields. I actually did a lot of leg yielding at the walk and trot to keep her mind focused on me, and she was very responsive. We also worked on standing still for me to mount (since I kept getting off to take pictures!) as well as mounting from the off side. This is a great exercise for me to practice when I'm alone since I'm pretty uncoordinated about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment