Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Big Girl Pants

Today Riyah had to put on her Big Girl pants. I headed up the Ponderosa trail at 9:30 this warm sunny morning with two good friends. Once we got across the river (still high and fast!) we had a six mile gorgeous mountain trail loop ahead of us.

We followed the gully up through the canyon toward an old pioneer salt mine. There are several ledgy places, and I had to remind Riyah to keep her mind on her job and watch her feet as she was totally intent on staying directly on my friend's horse, Sam's, tail. (Sam is Judy's horse, and Riyah lived with them for several years, and she really wants to be glued to Sam's butt apparently!) The spring at the salt mine keeps a trickle flowing all summer, but right now it's a small stream with muddy banks. The trail runs right up the middle of this stream for about a hundred yards.

The trail became pretty steep soon after we passed the salt mine and the horses barreled up the mountainside in a hurry. I would have preferred to slow it down a tic as Riyah was a bit anxious making sure she stayed very close to Sam. I will be glad when I am seen through her eyes as the undisputed Leader-At-All-Times.) We kept going, coming out on the high mountain meadow covered in thick green grass. By the time we made it to the cattle tank I was sure Riyah would want to drink; she was pretty sweaty. Although the tank is full and over-flowing, the horses didn't want to drink at all.

We came out to the same Corral Road I posted about the other day, and followed this for a quarter mile or so. As we were approaching the cut-off trail to the Elk Pasture, I sort of off-handedly commented that I wondered what kind of condition that trail was in. (It sees far less traffic than the Ponderosa Trail, although not many people have been up here yet this year, either.) Judy suggested that we check it out. Agreed.

I hadn't been down to the Elk Pasture in several years. This side of the mountain trail was fairly dry, but super-steep in places. I got off to hike at one point as it was so steep I worried about my saddle going over Riyah's withers! (Need to get that crupper!) We dodged over-hanging branches as we followed the very twisty narrow trail down, down, down into the bottom of the canyon where we came out into the greenest, prettiest meadow I have ever seen. It was paradise to the horses with lush green grass, flowers, and lots of streams.

Lots of boggy spots, too, we found as we headed across the meadow to connect to the trail leading back up the other side of the mountain toward the Ponderosa Trail. Some real heavy-duty boot-sucking bogs! No worries, though. Riyah's EasyBoot Gloves never shifted. She went through every stream and bog, sliding and scrambling as needed (!) but her boots were good. That's why I use the Gloves. So I don't have to worry.

Climbing out of the Elk Pasture was a tough job. The trail is straight up--a long, rocky side-hill with an incredible view for those brave enough to take their eyes off the trail to take it in! The horses were all puffing pretty good by the time we came out on top! Riyah just put her head down and dug in. She is strong and getting very fit. Anyone who doesn't like steep terrain better avoid this trail. It was all steep!

We eventually made our way back to the Ponderosa Trail which is pretty easy compared to what we had been through already! We still had some steep trail to cover, but the trail was in pretty good shape with only a couple of downed trees to skirt. Riyah can handle the hills; I've never ridden a smoother down-hill traveller!

In fact, I have to say Riyah can sure handle herself in the mountains, period! We covered some really rough stuff today, and she never said, "No, that's too hard," or "No, I don't want to do that." She was pretty amazing. She has more than doubled her water experience in the last two days, and I can confidently say she "does" water now! Rough rivers, muddy streams, and sticky bogs. We finished the ride by crossing the rushing river and headed back to the trailer. We loaded up and headed home to an extra feeding and a day or two of rest. Riyah probably covered 22-25 mountain miles in the last two days.

I am proud of Riyah's performance these last two days. But I will be happier when we reach the point where she won't stress about getting left behind by another horse. I know this is a leadership/confidence issue, and I am working on this with her. It's really the biggest struggle we are having, and when we get past it, she's going to be incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment