Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vet Trip


Today was scary. After a meticulous and lengthy exam of her entire leg, hip, and pelvis, including 11 x-rays of Riyah's right hock, the vet determined that she had no fractures, but rather a soft tissue injury in the hock itself. There is some fluid in the joint, and it is slightly swollen. I was so relieved I was fighting tears. It is still painful for Riyah, but soft tissue injuries are better than fractures most of the time. Dr. Wallberger injected her hock with cortisone and lidocaine, slathered on DMSO/furazone and applied a supportive wrap from her hoof all the way to up above her hock. He also administered an injection of Bute. She will be on stall rest for 10-14 days! I am sad about that, but relieved that he thinks she will be OK eventually. I will keep her on Bute for 5 days, and monitor her closely.

This was a very sudden, mysterious injury and difficult for the vet to diagnose. I really think something must have happened when the bull spooked her yesterday and she took off. I am so grateful it wasn't worse. This afternoon I was cleaning out the hay side of the barn, and Riyah was resting quietly in the aisle-pen. I looked over and she was standing standing square, actually bearing weight on the right hind. It might just have been the lidocaine talking, since it kind of numbs the joint, but she was obviously getting some relief!

I spent the evening with three high school cowboys hauling six tons of hay and stacking it in the barn. Excellent hard workers, all three. They had the 30' flatbed trailer loaded (picking up the bales in the field with me driving) with 200 bales in 45 minutes! They tied it down and we hit the road to come home. Stacking it in the barn was cough-inducing, dust-choking work, but they got it done. I'm glad that chore is taken care of! It's midnight now and I'm so tired I can hardly think!

My oldest daughter is getting married in a week and I am busy with wedding and reception details. My youngest daughter came home from university today and will see the doc tomorrow for testing to solve gall bladder/ulcer issues. I have out of town family coming to stay for the wedding. Without all these extra things happening, I would be depressed about not riding, but at this point I will just be caring for Riyah and praying she makes a quick full recovery. I have fallen in love with this girl and I desperately want her to be OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment