Monday, July 11, 2011

A Babysitter for Riyah


In preparation for a prolonged stall rest/recovery period for Riyah, I have brought in a babysitter. My hopes are that Riyah will be less stressed when I take Keno out to ride if she isn't left home alone. We'll see how that works. Anyway a very kind lady has agreed to let me borrow her section B Welsh pony mare. Gizzelle is a very quiet and relaxed girl. She settled in quickly when I brought her home this morning. Keno, on the other hand, is beside himself with excitement over having another girl on the place. He's being a complete idiot, trying to visit with Gizelle through the fence and charging at Riyah who is stalled in the barn aisle. Riyah is jealous and concerned about Keno's silly circus act. Sheesh. I hope they settle soon. The whole point was to keep Riyah quiet and calm! (Keno needs to go climb the biggest mountain I can find, which is in fact what I plan to do with him tomorrow. He has too much excess energy and I definitely want it burned off before I take him in the parade on Thursday!)

Riyah will be having surgery next week as the surgeon is out of town this week. Having decided this is the only way I can turn, I am ready to get on with it. In a well-meant effort to keep Riyah occupied and happy, and to keep her from dropping any more weight, I gave her an extra hay net (grass hay, of course) yesterday and the previous night. Just that small amount of extra carbs caused her to get really stocked up in both hinds last night. I know the fix for stocking up is exercise, but how do you exercise a lame horse who is on prescribed stall rest?? I did lead her two careful laps around the arena at 10pm last night in an effort to increase her circulation. It seemed to help some. She is still puffy but not as bad. No extra hay today, I guess. Maybe beet pulp and oil for weight? Any ideas out there? Has anyone dealt with a situation like this?

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    My name is Lexie and I once was a student of Wendy Onstott. I purchased Riyah's mother (Abi Tanni Bask also known as Bambi) from Wendy and have had her for a little over two years now. I am so happy to see that Riyah has found such a wonderful home...it saddens me to read about her injury! I wish you and her the best of luck and a speedy recovery for Riyah! I would love to send you some pictures and a video of her mother...it's crazy how much Riyah looks like her and also acts like her!(the video that you have is very identical to how bambi acts when she is turned out) if you'd like, you can email me at sassyfilly9@hotmail.com or visit my blog at lexierussell.blogspot.com
    hope to hear from you!!!
    -lexie

    ReplyDelete