Saturday, July 9, 2011

Surgery! (and a plea for help)


I spoke to to the vet this afternoon and he had already consulted with the surgical vet. They both agree that surgery to remove the bone chip is required. Without it Riyah will never be sound and will always be in pain. With surgery she has a good chance of being riding sound, but he can't really tell me with any kind of confidence that she will be sound enough to withstand the rigors of a competitive endurance horse. ("Only a certain percentage of horses will come back as good as before.") What percentage is that? Worst case scenario she will only be brood mare/pasture sound. I can only believe that she will be OK.

This evening I spoke to Dr. W again and got a few more details. Riyah's bone chip or fragment comes from an OCD lesion. It's not too uncommon apparently, has variable causes, and surgery is the only answer. Here is a link about this condition:

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/LargeAnimalEquineTopics/OsteochondritisDissecans/

I do feel somewhat better about things today after talking to my husband and a couple of friends. This is not insurmountable. I will find a way to deal with this.

One of the biggest challenges will be how to pay for the surgery. Dr. W says sooner is better than later so that the joint cartilage is not damaged further. SO please read on.

I am selling some things to raise money to pay for the surgery. Please help me out, friends! Pass the link to this blog (www.gloryofthewind.blogspot.com) and my mosaic art blog (www.saltcreekmosaics.blogspot.com) to all the horse people you know. I have lots of mosaic artwork (mostly equine themed--go figure!) that I am willing to sell at greatly reduced prices to raise the money to pay for Riyah's surgery. If the links get passed around enough, I'm sure some of it will sell.

I also have two saddles for sale: a 16 1/2" well used (but not by me!)western saddle (www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=16304811&cat=449) and a black Freeform Classic treeless endurance saddle (listed today on Ebay for $750)

Thank you for your support, prayers, and messages. It's greatly appreciated!



Morning, Noon, and Night
Glass, mirror, and metal
Transom arch (fits over a doorway)
$175










My Mare Misty
$150






















Horse of Color
12" plate
$75



















Bottled Dreams
6" glass bottle
$75

















High Mountain Country
Glass transom arch
$175








In the Quakies
12" plate
$145



1 comment:

  1. :( :( I just caught up on weeks of your blog, and I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your girl. I imagine the expenses are still a factor -- if the Morning, Noon, and Night piece is still available, I'm interested. inthenightfarms@gmail.com Many hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete