Thursday, July 14, 2011

Surgery on Monday


The vet has scheduled Riyah's surgery for Monday morning. It is a three hour procedure. I will take her up to the hospital on Saturday afternoon so they can have her prepped and ready come 8am Monday. I am sick with worry even though I know it is necessary.

I asked if I could walk Riyah around a bit but he again advised me not to. The less she moves the better since the chip can cause further damage to surrounding cartilage with movement. Poor Riyah! She is bored. I'm glad she has company.

Riyah and the Babysitter seem to get along well. They can visit through the fence and seem pretty attached already. Riyah stays relaxed when I take Keno out. (Maybe she is relieved to have a break from his silliness!)

The Babysitter is a fat thing--cresty and all-over plump with overgrown hooves. I gave her the first trim, but there is more to come! She is on a restricted diet of grass hay in a doubled small mesh hay net. I may also start soaking her hay to reduce the carbs further. She is very sweet and quiet.

I will work in the barn today trimming hooves, braiding Riyah's mane, and getting Keno spiffed up for the parade this evening. Bathed, clipped, etc. Gotta get that free rodeo ticket!

I have sold the old truck shell and Roger's (unused) western saddle so far. That helps with the vet bills.



















These pics show Babysitter's feet before and after the initial set-up trim. She still has too-long feet, but I didn't want to change her angles too much/too fast. I'll trim her again today. I'm trying to get the pressure off her toes--she has terrible flare from those overgrown long toes! (And wickedly high heels!) (Gobs of false sole.) (Totally passive frogs.) (Etc. etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment