Thursday, April 28, 2011


OK, so consistency isn't really Riyah's thing yet. Today was not like yesterday. Today was a new day. She did not want to play the trailer game at all. I stayed very low-key and didn't hurry her, but she wasn't having it. At all. The only difference I can honestly think of was that I saddled her first today. Yesterday since I was riding alone I saddled up when I got out to the trails. Since I was riding with Tammy today and didn't want to make her wait for me, I saddled Riyah before I headed out. It took 15 minutes to get her to load. Sigh.

When I got out to Tammy's I unloaded her and she jumped right in Tammy's trailer. Of course the fact that JoJo was waiting inside makes a huge difference.

We went out west and rode an exactly 10.0 mile loop according to the GPS (which is actually pretty hard to plan!) JoJo might be considering himself an endurance horse these days since Tammy is thinking of taking him to Hell's Kitchen next month. Both horses had a good ride. But Riyah was a little peevish about JoJo, even snaking her head toward him like she'd like to nip his speedy little butt a couple of times. That was a first, since she's always very pleasant with other horses.

We did the ten miles in two hours at a fairly relaxed pace. Lots of trotting and letting them walk where the footing got too rocky or when they needed a break. It was very windy, but warm when the wind died down. We did have a couple of bigger-trot stretches getting up to a 10 mph trot for a mile at a time. Riyah barely broke a sweat. She did get to pulling on me a couple of times, though.

Tomorrow's weather isn't predicted to be very good. I am planning to do hooves in the barn. They both need a good trim or they soon won't fit into their boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment