Wednesday, April 20, 2011




Well, the weather wasn't great, but, hey, enough is enough! We had to go ride and let the weather do what it will. It rained a little on our way out west, and it rained pretty good on the way back into town, but our ride was dry! It was a great ride--not fast, but lots of trotting, and not lots of spooking, even though Tammy's mustang JoJo was looking for something to spook at! Approximately 6 miles and Riyah was relaxed and not working hard at all; she barely broke a sweat. A little sweaty under the girth at the end, but that was all. She is getting fitter and really seems to enjoy our rides.

The only real problems I am having with her are all on the ground. We were 5-10 minutes just loading in the trailer. The other day I thought we had made great progress. Maybe not. :( She pulls back against the lead rope, flings her dramatic little head high in the air, and angrily stomps her feet about getting in the trailer. (The trying to yank away from me is NOT acceptable behavior. I do not want to resort to a chain on the lead rope, but she can't think that she is able to yank away and run back to the barn when she doesn't want to do what I ask!) We are going to work a lot more on the trailer loading and ground work, and I am going to get Marleen back down here.

The few ground/manners issues I am having are standing in the way of me totally enjoying this horse! I want them solved so we can get on with the fun! I love her gaits! She is a blast to ride! She is gaining confidence and going past things that would have caused her to stop and stare two months ago! She is responsive and enthusiastic. I know she can get past these few issues and become the endurance partner and all terrain horse of my dreams! (In my dreams of course she already is; she never acts up or gets out of hand, hahaha!)
I want to see rest of the world through these ears, so come on Riyah, just get in the trailer like a big girl already!

No comments:

Post a Comment